Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Jose Alvarez (10/13/15)

Hi, my name is Jose Alvarez. I am a 4th year Sociology major. I transferred from Los Medanos College (LMC)  in 2014. At LMC, I was heavily involved in our school's Honors Program, serving on the Officer Board, as well as the debate team. Having grown up in the East Bay my whole life, I wanted to come to UCLA to get a change of scenery.

I'm currently Vice-President of Tau Sigma, UCLA's only transfer-specific honor society, where I help create a better academic and social community for our members. I also received the IEO's Travel Study Scholarship last summer, which allowed me to take courses in NYC. I now serve as an Outreach Coordinator for the office.

I plan on pursuing a career in Education, so I decided to join Teach for America upon graduation. I will be teaching kids between elementary and middle school in Richmond, CA. I'm looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to help produce change in the local community.

No comments:

Post a Comment