Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Ivelisse Porroa-Garcia (10/6/15)

Meet our Transfer Crush Tuesday, Ivelisse!
I am a feminist Peruvian immigrant who studies political science at UCLA, my dream school. This is my second year serving in the USAC Transfer Student Representative Office, where I currently hold the position of Co-Director of the Transfer Student Mentorship Program "Show Me the Ropes." This unique program pairs up new transfers with seniors who serve as academic/career mentors and friends. As a new transfer last year, I underestimated the adaptation process to the quarter system, but then I realized I was not the only one. Transfer students like me and their experiences fuel my passion to make "Show Me the Ropes" a reality.
Moreover, during my first year at UCLA, I got admitted to the UCLA Center for American Politics and Public Policy's Quarter in Washington program, which will allow me to do research and an internship in D.C. during the Winter 2016 quarter. My research interest originated from my Constitutional Law: Civil Rights and Civil Liberties class in the political science department. I was fortunate to have the guidance of my professor by attending office hours, which is a resource I strongly recommend new transfers to use. While I wait for D.C., I work part-time in the UCLA Anderson School of Management, and I am also in the process of establishing the first UCLA American Association of University Women chapter.
However, my story does not start at UCLA. Four years ago, I came to the United States to pursue a better education. The path has not been easy, but I have shown professors, peers, and family that this Latina whose first language is Spanish is capable of establishing student organizations, winning prestigious scholarships, overcoming financial struggles, publishing research papers, bringing renowned political figures to give speeches, presenting research in an academic conference, working in a congressional office, and keeping a high GPA. However, what I am proud of the most is convincing myself that I am capable of doing even more to contribute to society, especially as a transfer student. I have been blessed, and now I have the social responsibility to finish my education to continue helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment