Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Chery Lai (02/24/15)

Hello Beautiful people I want to introduce to you Cherry Lai !!
she is our TRANSFER CRUSH for today. She is a very Hard working and inspiring transfer student in our community she works for CCCP and is a Mellon Mays Fellow and is doing all this as a parent of two kids!
here is more about Cherry and some encouraging thoughts from her experience,

Life in academia is constantly a waiting game. Almost two years ago, I waited anxiously for a UCLA acceptance letter. Now graduation is around the corner, and I am waiting for graduate school decisions. Waiting is passive, but I am waiting because I actively apply to graduate schools and fellowships to sustain a place in higher education. The waiting game is about doing one’s absolute best so that one can wait with hopes for the future. Four years ago, I did not have that hope. I was stuck working long hours in managing restaurants. Besides the occasional over-entitled customers that gave me a hard time, everything was routine. I waited on customers, waited for my paycheck, and returned home to two children who were waiting for me to tuck them into bed. After working for over ten years, and knowing that my options were limited, I decided to enroll at East Los Angeles College to earn an associate degree. At ELAC, I was very fortunate to have met my mentor in Asian American studies who not only encouraged me to transfer but also helped me grow intellectually. In addition, I found an ally in higher education—Center for Community College Partnership at UCLA. CCCP guided me in the transfer process, and kept me grounded at UCLA. I now work as a CCCP peer mentor at ELAC, to encourage community college students from underrepresented communities to transfer and pursue higher education. CCCP reminds me that knowledge must accompany action in order to benefit our community as a whole. As UCLA students, we have to recognize that first generation, non-traditional, minority, and parenting students are few and far between. I do not want to glorify the transfer experience because that hides the struggles that make us transfer students in the first place. I am just one of the lucky ones that has a chance to pursue higher education at UCLA. With the support of my family, CCCP, and the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Research Fellowship, I am taking on this waiting game with optimism. See More

No comments:

Post a Comment