Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Tien Phan (02/10/15)


Hello everyone!! our TRANSFER CRUSH TUESDAY for today is Tiên Phan !!!
She is a super hard working STEM transfer and is active in the transfer community here is more about Tien:

I am 4th year transfer student from Orange Coast College, majoring in Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology. Upon transferring to UCLA in Fall 2013, I decided to minor in Biomedical Research. I quickly joined Dr. Karen Lyons’s lab where I have been studying the functions of extracellular matrix proteins in regulating cartilage homeostasis. I have received a lot of support and mentorship from the research scholarships UFRP, CARE, and MARC, which I am extremely thankful for. I have recently been accepted to a great program (HHMI EXROP) which will fund me to do research at another institution this summer. I am now set on going to graduate school and making research my career. I am fascinated that a series of events, starting with an impulsive UCLA campus tour, brought me to where I am and shaped me to be the person I am today. Sometimes, I wonder about a parallel universe where I did not take that tour on a whim that day!

I am also the Co-chair and Research Coordinator of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Transfer Community – the only student organization that serves as a support group for UCLA STEM transfer students. We are dedicated to inform everyone of the resources available for STEM transfer students so that they can maximize their academic and professional development within their short time at UCLA.
(Follow our Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stc.ucla/ )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment