Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Nooriel Banayan (10/20/15)



Hey Transfers, meet this weeks Transfer Crush, Nooriel!

I work at the California Nanosystems Institute for their outreach program. We take graduate level science concepts and experiments and we make them accessible for high school students; so students make things such as solar powered devices and devices that charge super quickly and last for a super long time (you can be on instagram for days without needing to charge). I also do research at the David Geffen School of Medicine and I study advanced melanoma in human patients and how we can kickstart the patient's' immune system to attack the cancer. As for transfer related things, I try to lend a helping hand whenever I can for transfer events whether it be through the BRC or CCCP, and I'm so stoked to be a mentor this year for the new transfers. My biggest challenge as a transfer was knowing what opportunities were out there for me. It can be super intimidating at UCLA (it's not) and I feel like that fear of not having enough time/experience at a UC may discourage some transfers of going for things they want whether it be a research position or a club just because they feel like they're too new. My biggest advice, if you're unsure or scared, do it anyway. You only fail if you don't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment