Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Transfer Crush Tuesday: Andes Navarro (03/31/15)

This weeks Transfer Crush Tuesday....Andres Navarro!

Here is his story in his own words:

I am a 4th year transfer from Citrus College in Glendora, CA. From working in customer service, being a bouncer, and working for local and state campaigns, I found my niche as President of the Associated Students of Citrus College. Things came to a head with the President of the school and myself upon hearin...g that she'd get a raise on her already extravagant salary while they'd simultaneously cut classes. Never being the one to keep quiet about these kinds of things, I made it a point to fight this at the local and state level, even in the face of legal threats from the President for defamation of character and libel. Although my efforts were ultimately unsuccessful, I was proud of my board and the student body as a whole for energizing and mobilizing with me in our struggle.

I am now finishing up a political science degree with a digital humanities minor. I plan on attending law school after a gap year of working with local or state politicians. My goal, ultimately, is to work against institutionalized corruption either as a policy researcher or an elected official. I'm not going to be very popular with the old guard but, hey, that never stopped me before.

Andres is also a fellow Non-Traditional Student here at UCLA. Good job on making the members of NTSN, and UCLA community proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment